Today I have been unable to connect using the browser extension. When opening the browser, I can log in to the extension. But after this, it still displays as not connected.
If I click on the extension, this is what is shown:
If I click on "Connect", a browser window is opened and closed immediately. I have tried both Firefox and Chrome. The extension was working perfectly last week. I have tried on a fresh Chrome installation with no browsing history, cache or extension installed. I am able to log into my account via the tmetric website.
I need the extension for integration with Visual Studio Team Services. Please could you assist urgently.